hey! this episode is somewhat belated. it’s the holiday season, and josh was out of town for a week in december, so things got weird. the editing may be a little slapdash, sorry and/or get over it. here’s some of the things we reference this week:
- Funny, You Don’t Look Autistic: A Comedian’s Guide to Life on the Spectrum
By Michael McCreary
- Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension
By Michio Kaku
- The Caped Crusade: Batman and the Rise of Nerd Culture
By Glen Weldon
- The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
good news, everyone! the audio quality of episode two is markedly better than in episode one! i’m (josh) learning great stuff about audio editing! no weird gaps! background noise removed!
bad news, everyone! we were both tired and unprepared when recording this episode, so … it’s maybe boring? some of last week’s topics get a rehash. but hey, that’s life, and we have a through-line now, i suppose.
topics this week included:
- The Saint
- The Murder on the Links
- The Ashes of London
- Dune (again. and still a major motion picture. twice.)
- Wuthering Heights (“0 stars. every character in this book is terrible.” -josh)
- Pride and Prejudice
- Birder Murder Mysteries (#5 referenced in the show)
- New Balance MSCFIV1
Below are some links to things we discussed in the podcast. We’re still working on our land acknowledgement.
- I’m A Gnu
- Guar gum in fracking
- Shannon and the Clams (The Year of the Spider)
- Strange Planet
further to the topic of guar gum in fracking, i remember now why that was such a big deal that it caused a shortage. guar gum is also a main stabilizing ingredient in gluten free baking, and the significant rise in fracking operations and the significant rise in gluten free diets were coincident if i remember rightly. —jahnna
A note from Josh: The pilot episode of the podcast is pilot-y, and subsequent episodes will be more polished. Not sure if that’s a note on this episode or on future ones, but still.
(a subsequent note from jahnna: and future episodes will probably be a smidge shorter)
a note from Wren: future episodes should not delay dog’s supper or there will be an increase in borking